The National Theatre’s production of Hex is a must-see for any theatre-goer. This retelling of Sleeping Beauty takes the classic fairytale and gives it a dark and twisted twist, making for a unique and captivating experience. The lead actress, Lisa Lambe, brings a new level of depth and complexity to the role of Fairy, with her goblin-like appearance and bedhead hairstyle.
Whilst the music is not the strongest aspect of the production, the singing voices in Hex are universally strong and powerful, giving life to the musical numbers. The performers deliver each song with passion and skill, making for a musical experience that is both enjoyable and memorable. The book by Tanya Ronder adds sharp humour and strong female characters that bring depth and emotion to the production. The production deals with heavy themes such as child-rearing and postpartum motherhood, but it is handled in a way that allows for empathy and transformation.
Cast & Creatives
- The National Theatre, 26 November 2022 — 14 January 2023
- Directed by Rufus Norris
- music by Jim Fortune and lyrics by Rufus Norris
- Original concept by Katrina Lindsay and Rufus Norris
- Author of the book: Tanya Ronderza
- Set and Costume designs by Katrina Lindsay
- choreography by Jade Hackett
- music supervision and vocal arrangements by Marc Tritschler
- orchestrations by Simon Hale
- music direction by Tarek Merchant
- lighting design by Paul Anderson
- sound design by Simon Baker and video design by Ash J Woodward
- Consultant Choreographer Bill Deamer and Séimí Campbell as Associate Director
- Booking Link: https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/hex/
- Running time: approx. 2 hours 30 mins incl. interval
Hex is a musical that will leave you spellbound.
Hex is a musical that will leave you spellbound. The combination of darkness and glamour, along with the talented cast and creative team, make for an unforgettable theatre experience.